The following include the questions and responses to our most Frequently Asked Questions. As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please Contact Our Office.

Joining the Fund - FAQs

Membership - FAQs

  • I changed agencies -OR- I am no longer in Law Enforcement. What do I need to do?

    Members should ALWAYS inform the Fund of Employment Changes. Please print out the Certification by Employing Agency form. If you left one agency and began employment with another, our office requires two forms (one from each agency). Please have them separately completed by your previous and current agency. 

    Please select the form that best applies to the position for which you were/ are employed: Cer

    Forms should be notarized and returned to the following address to keep your service credit current. You may submit this form by using the following methods:

    • Email: [email protected]
    • Fax: 770-412-1236
    • Mail: POAB Fund, P.O. Box 56, Griffin, GA 30224
  • How do I view my account? Check my balance? Find my Member Number? Check my Service? See my beneficiary?

    Our Membership Portal allows our Active, Vested, and Retired Members to view their account information online!   First-time users will need to register with a personal email address.


  • Can I buy back prior service? When can I buy? How much will it cost? How do I request this?

    Members are eligible to purchase up to 5 years of service after accruing 5 years of creditable service. To learn more, head over to our Purchase Prior Service Page.

  • Does my prior service count toward vesting?

    Purchased prior service DOES NOT count toward vesting. It adds to your creditable service once you are vested. 

  • When am I eligible to receive my benefits? How long until I'm vested?

    A POAB member may receive benefits after they are considered VESTED and ELIGIBLE for retirement. Learn more on our Vesting Requirements page.

  • I didn't meet the Vesting Requirements. Now what?

    The POAB Fund always wants our Members to be aware of their options--especially those who did not meet the Vesting Requirements

    If you have returned to a qualified position with another law enforcement agency, please notify this office immediately so we can change your status back to "active".

    If you have not returned to a qualified position with another law enforcement agency, you have several options to choose from:

    • Request a Leave of Absence with the Fund for up to 12 months.  
    • You may freeze your account.  You will not accrue any service record and will not have to pay monthly dues.  Upon return to a qualified position with another law enforcement agency, you must notify this office so we can change your status to active member.  
    • Request a Refund of the dues that have been paid into your account.
  • How do I apply for a Leave of Absence?

    A provision for Leave of Absence is made for members who are not yet vested with the minimum 10 years (joined before June 30, 2010) or 15 years (joined after July 1, 2010) of Fund participation required to draw the Pension. The fund must be notified within 90 days of leaving Law Enforcement and again within 30 days of returning to Law Enforcement. Learn more on the Leave of Absence Page.

  • I am going on military duty. What do I need to do with my account?

    Active members of the Fund called into military service from their employment as a peace officer may be granted military service for FREE (max 5 years). The Fund requires documentation of your service. Head over to the Military Service page to learn more.

  • I moved. How do I update my contact information?

    Active and Vested members may update their contact information by logging into our Member Portal -OR- they may Contact the Fund Office

    It is very important to keep your POAB Account up to date.


Dues - FAQs

  • How much are the monthly dues payments? When are they due?

    Dues payments are $25.00 per month and are due on the 10th of each month. Be sure you are aware of the Dues Requirements. Failure to promptly pay these dues could lead to loss of creditable service.

    Remember, we do not send out billing statements. Dues payments are required by the 10th of each month. The member is responsible for paying their dues on time.

    If you receive a notice from the Fund office, you are BEHIND in paying your dues.

  • How do I pay my dues?

    We offer several Dues Payment Options for members' convenience:

    1) Automatic Withdrawals from your Bank Account

    (2) Payroll Deduction

    (3) Payment by Personal Check or Money Order

    Remember, we do not send out billing statements. Dues payments are required by the 10th of each month. The member is responsible for paying their dues on time.

    If you receive a notice from the Fund office, you are BEHIND in paying your dues.

  • How do I get a Refund? How much will it be?

    Active members of the Fund may Request a Refund of Dues at any time. Before retirement, a member may withdraw their membership and request to receive a 95% refund of all dues paid into the Fund. Any interest or penalties paid are not refundable. Overpayment of dues will be refunded at 100%. 

    Members who overpay their dues, but do not wish to cease membership in the Fund may Request an Overpayment Refund.

    Retirees who have contributed more than the required dues amount will receive a 100% Overpayment Refund. The payment of this refund will be issued approximately 30 days after the first pension payment is received by the member.

    Please visit the Request a Refund of Dues page for more information and the required forms.

    • I am on payroll deduction. Why have I received a late notice from your office?

      It is the member's responsibility to see that dues are paid; regardless of the dues payment method. Account delinquency does not exclude members on Payroll Deduction or Automatic Withdrawal.

      We highly suggest you contact your Payroll Department.

      If you like, we are happy to speak with you about the status of your account.

      Contact the Fund


    • I am an active member on ACH and have changed bank accounts. How do I update that?

    Retirement Benefits - FAQs 

    • When am I eligible to receive my benefits?

      There are three ways to be eligible to draw your pension:

      • Members who are vested with POAB, at least 55 years old, and out of law enforcement.
      • Members who joined prior to July 1, 2009 (and have not rejoined at any point after), have 30 years of creditable service with the POAB Fund, and are at least 55 years old are allowed to draw a pension and continue working in law enforcement full time.
      • Members who have 30 years of creditable service with POAB and have left law enforcement may draw a pension prior to turning 55.
    • How do I calculate what my monthly benefits will be?

      The Pension Benefit is calculated by multiplying your creditable service (full months and years) by the current base rate.

      Learn more about the Pension Benefit.

    • Can I receive disability benefits?

      Disability Retirement Benefits is available only to members that joined prior to July 1, 1993. Eligible members must apply within 12 months of becoming totally and permanently disabled

    • I am about to retire. What should I do?

      If you have reached the Vesting Requirements and are Eligible for Retirement benefits, you should request a Retirement Package. You can do so by Contacting the Fund -OR- Submitting an Online Pension Request Form.

      If you have not yet reached Eligibility or the Vesting Requirements, please submit the Certification by Employing Agency form that best applies to your employment type:

      Certification by Employing Agency Form for General Law Enforcement

      Certification by Employing Agency Form for DOC, DCS, and Probation Officers


    • I'm already retired, and I need to update my account. What do I do?

      It is the member’s responsibility to inform the Fund office of any changes.

      To update your tax withholdings, submit a Tax Withholding Declaration Form.

      To update your direct deposit information, submit a Direct Deposit Form.

      To update your contact information, submit a Contact Information Form.


    • I didn’t receive my 1099-R. How can I get a new one?

      1099-Rs are mailed by our Bank Custodian, State Street Bank, in January to the address that we have on file for you.

      Contact Us to request an additional copy. (The last five years are available should you require them).

    • I am retired but returning to work. What do I need to do?

      The laws governing this Fund allow a Retiree Returning to Law Enforcement to work 1040 or fewer hours in a calendar year and still draw retirement benefits. This law is in place for retirees who have not reached 30 years of service with the fund.

      For these members, there are restrictions on the number of hours they may work and draw their pension. So that you may better understand your options, please review, complete, and return the Retiree Employment Packet

    • I chose 100% or 50% Joint Life when I retired, and my spouse passed away -OR- we divorced. What options are available to me?

      For members who chose to provide a spousal benefit at retirement, the laws governing the Fund state that with the occurrence of Death or Divorce of Spouse, your option choice may revert to the amount provided under a Single-life annuity option (Option 1). Members will have 6 months from the date of occurrence (death or divorce) to submit the required paperwork to the POAB Fund office. 


    Death Benefit - FAQs

    • A member of the Fund passed away. How is the death benefit claimed?

      The death benefit is provided to an Active, Vested or Retired member's beneficiary. The beneficiaries of members who pass away in a status of Inactive, Military (and not vested), or Leave of Absence will have the opportunity request a 95% refund of the dues required (any overpaid dues will be refunded at 100%). 

      The amount provided to the beneficiary is determined by the stage of membership at the time of death. Please visit the Death Benefit Page to view the breakdown of payment amount available to the beneficiary (you cannot receive more than one amount listed below).

      It is imperative that the Fund be informed of a member's death. Please Contact the Fund to do so. 

    • How do I change my beneficiary?

      The Death Benefit is provided to the member's beneficiary. A beneficiary can be anyone the member chooses and can be changed at any time by completing and returning the Beneficiary of Death Benefits Designation form.

    • How do I know who I currently have listed as a beneficiary?

      Active, Vested, and Retired members may access their accounts through our Member Portal. Once registered, these members may view their account information--including their named beneficiary.

    • What is the difference between a beneficiary and a designated survivor?

      The POAB Fund provides two separate Benefits for our members: 

      The Designated Survivor refers to the spouse of a member who chose to leave a spousal benefit upon the member's death.

      The Beneficiary of Death Benefits refers to the person to whom the Member chooses to leave the one-time, lump sum death benefit.